This past weekend I did a bible study at my National Guard unit on doubting Thomas (John 20:19-31). I did not write a manuscript so I can’t give you word for word. But here is a basic outline:
- Background: Last week was Easter, Jesus is raised from the dead.
- Jesus appeared to 11 disciples, but Thomas wasn’t there.
- When Jesus does appear to Thomas a week later, he follows the same pattern as before. (“Peace be with you, look at my hands, look at my side”)
- Jesus did not require a greater amount of faith or expect less faith from Thomas. He gave him the same evidence as the other disciples.
- What about us? I haven’t seen the body of Christ, how can I believe?
- The apostle Paul, elsewhere in scripture, tells us that we are the Body of Christ – All believers, the church.
- The world today knows Christ through us, if we have the marks of Christianity.
- How will you be the Body of Christ for others?